The Best Slip-On, Non-Slip Boat Shoes For Safety And Style
The best boat shoes aren’t just stylish – they’re also functional. Fit, comfort, durability, and non-slip soles are all important factors. In fact, wearing the wrong footwear when you're out on the water can actually be dangerous. The wrong type of shoe can lead to slip-and-fall accidents on deck that result in injury.
To keep you safe and stylish on the water, here's a closer look at what makes a great boat shoe and some recommendations when shopping for a new pair of women’s or men’s slip-on boat shoes.
What Makes a Great Boat Shoe?
The best non-slip boat shoes will also have several practical features to keep you safe and comfortable on the water. Here are the most essential features to look for when selecting shopping for boat shoes:
- Traction. Traction is one of a boat shoe's most important (if not the most important) features. If the waters get choppy, you want to be steady on your feet. Look for boat shoes with rubberized soles and good tread.
- Durability. Both our feet and shoes tend to take a beating when we're out on the water. You'll want a boat shoe made with durable materials to get as many wears as possible out of each pair.
- Fit and comfort. Shoes should fit well for safety and comfort reasons when boating. They should be easy to move around in and feel comfortable on your feet. Also, remember that you may be wearing socks during colder weather. If your feet tend to get cold, you may want a boat shoe that is a half-size larger to accommodate wearing socks.
- Protection. Anyone who sunburns easily will tell you there's nothing worse than burned feet. Your boat shoes aren't just about keeping your feet dry but also protected from the wind and high UV rays you'll encounter on sunny days.
- Non-marking. Maintaining your boat is a labor of love that takes time and effort. Shoes that will mark your deck with black streaks are a poor choice. Look for non-marking boat shoes to prevent this. Most of the favorite men's slip-on boat shoes actually have white soles.
- Quick drying. Your feet are likely to get wet at some point. Choose a boat shoe made from materials that will dry quickly so you're not walking around with wet shoes and feet.
- Water-resistant properties. This fits with quick-drying materials, but it's important to point out. Shoes made from materials less likely to get soaked in the first place are a better option.
Why Boat Shoes?
Boat shoes are made for particular purposes, which are to protect your feet and prevent you from slipping on the deck. Some shoes can be a hazard when walking around on a boat. Shoes with heels and sandals are inappropriate choices for boating. These types of footwear will make it very difficult to stay on your feet if the water gets choppy. They're also not made with non-slip materials. This is why boat shoes really are a favorite choice when it comes to protecting your feet.
4 Slip-On Boat Shoes
Moku Pae Men's Boat Shoes
Moku Pae translates to "boat, to come ashore." This shoe brand is known for its excellent gripping ability and non-marking soles. The side materials are made from water-resistant and breathable mesh. The no-tie laces provide extra room in the top of the shoe for those days when socks are needed. Moku Pae shoes also have a drop-in heel that makes them easy to slip in and out of.
Huk Classic Brewster
Huk Gear is a company based in Charleston that's been making non-slip boat shoes and other footwear since 2014. The Huk Classic Brewster is a great shoe for both on and off the water. It has excellent gripping traction and a non-marking outsole. The upper side of the shoe is made from water-resistant canvas. The comfortable midsole and collapsible heel make this an excellent slip-on shoe.
Men's PFG Bahama Vent Shoe
Columbia Sportswear is a trusted brand that's been around since the 1930s. Their Men's PFG Bahama Vent Shoe is made from stain-resistant and water-resistant materials, perfect for days when you plan to clean fish on the boat. These shoes have excellent ventilation and comfy arch support for all-day wear. The upper is made from both canvas and leather. The outsole traction gives you an enhanced grip on the deck and is made from non-marking rubber.
Grundens Deck-Boss Slip-On
Grundens is a Swedish company known for making excellent footwear for fishing and boating. The Deck-Boss Slip-On shoe is 100% waterproof. They have a temperature-regulating liner, so your feet won't get too hot or too cold, no matter the weather. These shoes have a gum rubber outsole and razor siping on the tread to give extra grip and allow water to move out from under the shoe.
Make your days out on the water more enjoyable and safe with boating footwear designed for safety and style. To make the most of every boat day, deck your vessel in the highest-quality stainless steel marine hardware and carbon fiber fishing gear from Gemlux – the boating and fishing experts.